Vacancy: Maintenance Supervisor
A wonderful opportunity for an enthusiastic, skilled and hands-on Maintenance Supervisor to work with and oversee a skilled in-house team and maintain the large residential portfolio based on the Isle of Bute.
The Mount Stuart Trust was created by the 6th Marquess of Bute in 1989 with the purpose of entrusting the historic Mount Stuart House and Gardens, together with the properties, lands and resources to be run for charitable purposes.
Mount Stuart is, and always has been, a place of learning. The Bute Family has long supported and encouraged education in all its forms and continues to do so to this day. The Mount Stuart Trust has continued with this theme, one that is at the heart of the Trust’s charitable objectives.
Within the Mount Stuart residential portfolio, the Trust has a range of properties which is managed to offer accommodation primarily to those living and employed locally, including many of The Mount Stuart Trust staff. The Trust is committed to improving the standard of its residential portfolio which has included converting farm steadings and is in the middle of constructing a new community of 10 semi-detached eco-houses. The Trust also cares for an array of listed houses, where modernisation is more challenging.
Maintaining the property portfolio is challenging and the Trust is embarking on an ambitious programme of upgrade and repair works while also ensuring day to day maintenance is undertaken efficiently and to a high standard.
The Mount Stuart Trust is therefore seeking a ‘working’ Maintenance Supervisor to manage the maintenance works of the portfolio and to provide assistance on the refurbishment and development programme.
As a working supervisor your key purpose is to manage the maintenance team ensuring the day to day maintenance requirements of the residential portfolio and Mount Stuart House are met while also contributing to the workload. Ensuring quality, timely repairs as well as implementing and managing planned preventative works schedules with the aim of improving the portfolio for our residents and to protect the built environment assets for the future.
The successful applicant will be expected to live or move to Bute for work purposes.
The role of the Maintenance Supervisor will suit a skilled, experienced, energetic and proactive team player who enjoys engaging with the public and maintaining and developing a diverse property portfolio.
· Oversee day-to-day operations of the maintenance team which incorporates in-house trades and the use of external contractors.
· Plan, manage and develop the departments work plan and report to the Buildings & Facilities Manager regarding staffing levels.
· Assist with budget preparation and take responsibility of the day-to-day management of the maintenance team cost centre.
· Undertake a clerk of works role to monitor quality of workmanship for the works team and assist with problem solving solutions on site.
· Manage and programme annual cyclical maintenance tasks and ensure all necessary compliance checks are undertaken in a timely manner.
· Assist the security and house facilities management team on Mount Stuart house maintenance projects arising from the planned maintenance plans.
Qualifications and Experience
· The successful candidate will ideally have 5 years’ experience working in and around the building maintenance and the construction sector and will be able to demonstrate experience in leading and managing small teams of skilled trades people.
· Ideally would have a skilled trade or would have experience as working foreman. A trade in roofing, electrics, joinery, plumbing and general construction as well as other disciplines relating to residential property will be considered.
· The post holder will ideally be qualified/experienced in project/site management, with experience for delivering projects so he/she will need the ability to design, plan and execute small works projects.
· Experience of working in historic and listed properties would be advantageous and a general knowledge of Scottish construction techniques in a general context would be useful.
· Excellent Leadership skills including coaching, team development, motivation and communication, and the ability to prioritise tasks and to work under pressure are a must.
· To fulfil this role and to represent the Trust requires excellent written and verbal communication, public presentation and administrative skills, as is a high level of confidence in interacting and dealing with a wide range of people.
· Regular use of computerised systems and self-sufficiency in use of IT (email, internet, word-processing, spreadsheets, databases) is required.
· A good level of health and safety processes and procedures knowledge relating to the construction industry is essential.
· Full UK driving licence.
Skills and Knowledge
· The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
· Skilled trade and construction/maintenance background.
· Must be a team player with a willingness to consult, seek advice and communicate openly as well as to encourage dialogue when solving problems.
· Highly motivated, creative and flexible individual.
· Excellent planning and organisational skills.
· Ability to work strategically and use own initiative.
· Be a collaborative team member and supportive colleague.
A generous remuneration package is provided for the successful candidate including pension, holiday allowance and private health cover.
If this Maintenance Supervisor vacancy is of interest, please apply with a c.v. and covering letter each of no more than two pages to Fiona Hardie at firstname.lastname@example.org. The fuller job description is available on request.
Closing date is Monday 15 February, 2021.
*Initial interviews will take place at the end of February by Zoom or Skype, followed by shortlisted candidates being invited to a further interview at Mount Stuart, subject to restrictions at that time