International Museum Day: 30 Objects – Robert Weir Schultz

11 May 2017

For International Museum Day on 18 May our Head of Collections, Alice, has chosen her top 30 objects from Mount Stuart’s Collections which we’ll bring to you throughout the Month. Ranging from books, furniture, silver-work, paintings and documentation from hundreds of years of Stuart family life, this barely scratches the surface of our Collections so make sure to plan your visit and experience it for yourself!

Robert Weir Schultz (1860-1951) was a Scottish Arts and Crafts architect born in Port Glasgow who, during his early career, trained with Robert Rowand Anderson, Chief Architect of Mount Stuart.  As with William Burges, Schultz, with his wide historic and architectural knowledge and similar intellectual interests, became a partner in inspiration and a friend to the family of the 3rd Marquess.

Robert Weir Schultz Scoulag

Also, like other architects of his time, he travelled to the old cities of Europe and the Near East in c. 1887 to gain inspiration and his resulting love of Byzantine Architecture appealed to the taste of the 3rd Marquess.  Back in Britain he worked on Falkland palace, Cardiff Castle and other such projects for the 3rd Marquess as St John’s Church in Cumnock and the new wings added at the Bute’s Ayrshire home, Dumfries House.

At Mount Stuart, Shultz’s work can be found in many areas of the house; he designed the arts and crafts gate house, Scoulag Lodge (on the estate road leading to Kingarth) as well as much of the key furniture in the family bedrooms.  Schultz was also in charge of the installation of electricity in the house, the first in Scotland to be purposely built with electricity in mind, and also designed many of its fine lighting fixtures.  His touch is also felt outdoors with the steps to the bowling green by the Wee Garden and the mortuary chamber at Shore Chapel where his friend and patron the 3rd Marquess was laid to rest in 1900.

Robert Weir Schultz crib